Software Defined Network (SDN)
SDN is a network technology which network administrator can program virtualized network to control/administrate and provide centralized control section
Programmable control planeConfigured with 3 open Interface, including southbound, northbound, and east-west bound interfaces for control planes
SDN languages and formal specification[Y.FNsdn-fm] Formal specification method and languages for application/service development
Data plane abstractionWell-defined, common data plane models, rather than using of specific hardwares
Virtualization of the underlying network
Open Source Camp
- Open source camp defined standard protocol “OpenFlow” based SDN, and by this enabling Controller and data transmission equipment is possible without being subordinated by specific manufacturer.
- Main Controller is Open Daylight and Floodlight, major equipment manufacturers are HP, Arista, and Brocade.
- Successful case of Open Flow application is G-Scale Project which aimed for increase in circuit usage between Google Datacenter.
Commercial Product Camp (Cisco ACI)
- Well know commercial SDN solution is Cisco ACI, holding multiple global references and currently leading the market.
- Cisco ACI is configured of Nexus 9K and controller called “APIC”.
- Main concept of ACI is to provide network infra for application
- Currently Cisco ACI includes physical and virtual server suitable for converting data center into SDN based cloud data center.